[ale] OT: not quickbooks

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Nov 22 13:46:30 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 12:52, Bob Toxen wrote:
> Walter,
>
> Thanks for adding your 15 years of business experience and your experience
> with Quickbooks.  I had assumed that such a popular program would have
> had audit trails and a decent database.
>
> I guess I need to try GnuCash and report to the group.  As a mostly
> one man shop I have simple needs.

GnuCash has really come a long way. But don't try to import 7 years of
Quicken into it. Quicken is NOWHERE near the double accounting standard
so it just falls on it's face. The account totals wind up being
incredibly strange. GnuCash is supposed to import Quickbooks much
better. I tossed Quickbooks out several years ago as I truly hated it.
My wife uses Quicken on the home accounts. We were looking at converting
to Moneydance but it got swallowed by Appgen then regurgitated somewhere
else. It converter worked OK for the older Quicken format. We quit
updating Quicken when they wanted (insisted) on having a net connection
open to run.

And many thanks to Walter for the great explanation of some of he
shortcommings of Quickbooks. It really does take a long time to find all
the places an application does meet ones needs.

Long live open source software!! If you don't like it, fix it!