[ale] Re: Ale Digest, Vol 3, Issue 97

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Nov 21 07:22:12 EST 2003

Van L. Loggins wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:51:46 -0500 Christopher Fowler
> <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
>
> I've neaver had the Pleasure/Pain of dealing with MicroCenter.
> However I have only tried getting those rebates 2 times from
> Officemax and as it stands I am still waiting on the rebate for my
> Belkin USB 10/100 adapter, and I was supposidly a day late and a
> dollar short on getting my rebate submitted for my 48x12x48 CD-RW
> drive.

You can rest assured that if you were a day late, you will never get
that rebate.  They will definitely hold you to the date restrictions.
That's the way they want it to work.  They want you to be late or to forget.

> Oh yeah I must not forget to mention the rebate that I sent in
> for my USB 24x10x40 CD-RW drive. I bought it the same day as the
> belkin usb 10/100 adapter and never got it either. That was last
> November so it's a safe bet I won't be getting them.
>
> I had always been wary of those rebate offers, but now I avoid them
> at all costs. The only rebate I believe in is a Instant rebate.

I've completely given up on rebates since my last two problems.  One was
resolved but not until I placed numerous phone calls.  You've got to
understand that the rebates are handled by third parties.  In my
situation, Compusa and the rebate clearing house kept pointing fingers
at each other.

My last effort with a rebate was a purchase of Norton Utilities/firewall
package.  I received a postcard telling me that I had not included the
proof of purchase.  This is not a mistake I make.  I make copies of all
the documents and I know I had placed it in the envelope.  I got someone
on the phone and they had me fax them the covers of the two manuals.  I
never got the rebate.  That was it, I don't shop rebates any more.  It
doesn't matter though, companies will still do the rebate thing, because
it's a money maker.  So many folks send them in late or don't send them
at all.  You would think they'd make sure they take care of the folks
who do get it right, but they don't.  It's no longer worth my effort to
document everything and get into the mail, then continue to followup on it.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net