[ale] Q: Setting up alternate net interfaces in Slack

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 16 18:33:18 EST 2003

ALErs -

I have a Slackware-9.1 setup question:

I installed Slack on my laptop, then ran through PPP setup fine. The setup
left me with a startup script '/sbin/ppp-go' that I modified and use to
start PPP when I want it. "Works fine, lasts a long time."

The laptop also has a pcmcia network card and I want to use it for network
interface when I have ethernet available, but still have PPP to use when I
need it. It would be fine if I have to start 'eth0' with a script, it
might be handy if I could specifically choose DHCP or static addressing.

I hesitate to just march through 'netconfig' and setup an ethernet
connection if it would wreck my PPP in the process.

How have others set this up?

TIA.
 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu