[ale] Looking for editor opinions

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Nov 16 15:02:55 EST 2003

I've looked around extensively, for years, on multiple platforms, for a text
editor that compared favorably to the CygnusEd text editor I became
intimately familiar with on Amiga.   I still haven't found a perfect
replacement, but for Linux I settled on Nedit. <http://www.nedit.org>   It
meets most of the specs, you covered:

On Sunday 16 November 2003 08:55, Larry Richardson wrote:
> o  Graphical interface

Yes

> o  Tabbed window list (like gEdit)

Not in my current version... it does open a seperate window for each file, but
does list all of them under the "window" menu item for easy switching.

> o  Ability to save the editor state (list of open windows) and restore
> this later - this is the one feature I haven't found yet

Maybe.... haven't tried that, but Nedit is highly scriptable via Python.

> Other nice to have features:
> o  color code highlighting based on file type

Yes (for a long list of languages)

> o  ability to kick off scripts from the editor (to do compiles, etc)

Yes. In fact, uses shell tools for spell check and such as well.

> o  key remapping, or at least the ability to use emacs or vi keymaping

Haven't found a way to remap shortcut keys, but haven't delved very far with
that.

> o  free

Yes

A couple other nice features include regex support for search / replace and
file change warnings (if, for instance, a program updates the log file you
are editing).

> Anyone know of an editor that will fit the bill?

Also, Dennis Boylan mentioned an OSS text / programming editor I hadn't yet
heard of during his Central Meeting presentation. Maybe someone on the list
with memory cells can recall the name??

HTH!
peace
aaron