[ale] learning the kernel

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 14 15:07:57 EST 2003

I suggest Operating Systems (3rd ed.) by Harvey M. Deitel (ISBN 0-13-182827-4) .
 Its a book that discusses every aspect of operating systems from concept to implementation.

Here is a chapter list:

1 - Introduction to Operating Systems
2 - Hardware and Software Concepts
3 - Process Concepts
4 - Thread Concepts
5 - Asynchronous Concurrent Execution
6 - Concurrent Programming
7 - Deadlock and Indefinite Postponement
8 - Processor Scheduling
9 - Real Memory Organization and Management
10 - Virtual Memory Organization
11 - Virtual Memory Management
12 - Disk Performance Optimization
13 - File and Database Systems
14 - Performance
15 - Multiprocessor Management
16 - Introduction to Networking
17 - Introduction to Distributed Systems
18 - Distributed Systems and Web Services
19 - Security and Protection
20 - Case Study: Linux
21 - Case Study: Windows XP

As you can see it sums it all up with 2 chapters discussing how
both Linux and WindowsXP have implemented the concepts outlined
in the previous chapters.

This book has not been released yet, expect it in bookstores in mid december
to early january (Its due to be published early to mid december, but it may not
get to your store that fast).

HTH,
Mike Panetta