[ale] OT Laptop pref

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Nov 13 23:28:34 EST 2003

I've been watching this thread go back and forth and I finally have
something to say.

It doesn't matter _what_ hardware is purchased. # months after the
purchase there will be something faster, more toys/goodies/works better
with OS-of-choice, etc. Laptops are looking like cell-phone plans. The
option list doesn't match up to a pricing list!

I used to put parts data into a spreadsheet and crunch least-squares
fits on pricing curves. Or at least I tried. It's not possible! The
"most bang for the buck" builds a machine that won't run!

So what to get? Pick one, and ONLY one, factor that is required and toss
the rest of the devices that don't have it. Then pick ONE new "must
have" feature to narrow the list again. Then look in the wallet and see
if it matches the harsh reality in front of you :)  Be prepared to spend
more money than you _really_want_to_ because upgrades are not always
possible after a year or so on laptops.

The really big question for me and portables is "how long do I HAVE to
have it running unplugged". My earlier laptops were really more for
portable data storage than anything else. Now, I need to move through a
building and test networks so mobility is a bigger factor for me. IBM
Thinkpad T20 batteries have short lives but just fit the bill. There is
a newer Thinkpad with an optional battery in the superbay that puts the
system at 6+ hours with no AC power. Of course, the DVD drive is not
connected during this time so that stinks.

I would like to point out that this months Linux Journal has the latest
"Ultimate Linux Box" article. The hardware was provided by Monarch
Computer. It is just about the same Opteron box I built several months
ago. It still has no non-beta OS on it as RedHat WS 3 will cost $800,
Suse 9 Pro will only cost $119 and I haven't built the setup yet for
Fedora. Debian is not an option as they still aren't ready. Gee, I can
save how much?