[ale] Migrating CVS

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 13 13:26:48 EST 2003

Hi, Matthew -

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Matthew Brown wrote:

> Has anyone here ver migrated a cvsrep from one server to another?  How
> to do it?

I migrated a full source tree from MKS 'Source Integrity'/MsWin to
CVS/Linux, then updated and reformed the CVS version a couple of times. I
managed to preserve the histories of most files (c. 920 out of 1000 came
through OK). CVS to CVS should be much simpler.

If it's a matter of keeping multiple repositories in synch, look into
'rsync'.

I also used 'cpio' to produce a rolling backup of the CVS repository and
recovered from that backup, which I expect would do a migration just as
well. You either need to shut down access for the duration of the
transplant, or (what I did) treat all work done during the transplant time
as a "one-time" updated in the new repository. ('rsync' avoids this
problem by locking directories individually as it copies them out.)

Let me know if you need any help.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu