[ale] OT Laptop pref

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Wed Nov 12 21:35:52 EST 2003

Yeah, I had a *lot* to learn about 64 bit machines a short time ago also
;0-( )

I did see some stuff about 6 mos ago that showed single processor high end
cpu's beating a dual G4 mac.  Pretty amazing if true.  I think that when it
comes down to cycles per second on apps that use serial processing (as
opposed to apps that can parallel process something) slower times eat the
dust.  I would also look at the total system of a laptop - what the cpu
does, how much it moves in and out (front side bus), and how the mobo fits
into the picture.  A lot of onboard cache can make a big difference.  I
think Toms hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com) had some good stuff on
comparisons.

I chose my laptop on $$$ and reliability and got a used IBM thinkpad with
300 MHz, 193 MB of ram and a 6 GB HD (later upgraded to a 30GB so the SO can
do Windows 98 on the 6GB HD). It runs Windows 2k Pro and Suse 8.2 just fine,
though I don't do much that pushes it I confess. Using a *nix and a minimal
windowing (or none) program will stretch out the lifetime of a machine.

Good luck and tell us how things come out.

Greg