[ale] USB pen drive killed?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Nov 12 14:22:21 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 13:55, Preston Boyington wrote:
> >You could put an ext3 or feiser or XFS or JFS partition on it.
>
> hmm, would you benefit from a journalized file system on a pen drive?
> most pen drives are still under 512mb and the ones that are over 512mb
> cost far too much (for me).
>
> would a journalized file system would over work a pen drive?  would
> this be true for external hard drives also?

I have not tested this personally. But my thinking is the journaling
will help prevent data loss for everything BUT the file in use at the
time of the screw-up. That one file will be gone but the rest of the
device should be intact.

A big caveat to journaling  on a flash drive. The journal space gets
written to a lot. That will wear out the drive faster as that space,
when dead, will kill the drive. I believe it is possible, with much man
page groking, to move the journal around during subsequent reformats so
as to not overwrite the same place all the time.