[ale] emacs edt/lse emulation

Zycinsky, Bill Bill.Zycinsky at scigames.com
Tue Nov 11 00:47:53 EST 2003

I've learned a few things from reading and exploration.

>From console mode I've been able to make all the keys on my LK461 keyboard
work by using showkeys, loadmap, and dumpmap calls.

showkeys will show me the keycodes for the keys. ( only works in console
mode for me )

i.e  Numlock = 69

To get a copy of my current map I type.

dumpmap -v > current.map

I then copied this to a new file custom.map

I then proceeded to change my entire numeric keypad's keycodes to be keys
F100-F120 and defined strings for them

;For Example - if I wanted numlock to be F100 regaurdless if control or alt
or shift was held down.
keycode 69 = F100  F100 F100 F100 F100 F100 F100

; Then define the strings.
string F100 = "\033[[a"
string F101 = "\033[[b"
string F102 = "\033[[c"
string F103 = "\033[[d"

After doing the entire keymap I
$loadkeys -v custom.map

I then switch to Console1 try emacs, works great. Next I tried emacs under
xwindows and it did NOT work.

I then tried to use xmodmap to solve the problem. I edited my
$home/.xmodmaprc and added the following lines.
;
clear mod2
keycode 77 = F12
keycode 96 = Num_Lock Pointer_EnableKeys
add mod2 = Num_Lock
;

Basically I've just subitituted my numlock key ( PF1 ) for F12. Not ideal,
but it gets me a gold key to use. But how do I get others keys on the
keyboard enabled? For example, the Num-'-' key is keycode 118. I've tried
assigning it to F11 but that does nothing noticable.

Question:

That's what I've tried any insight anyone can offer would be appreciated. I
do not understand why loadkeys did not work except in console mode?
I also do not understand why I can not define the key threw xmodmap?