[ale] symlinking /var/www/blosxom to /home/user/blosxom?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Nov 10 15:23:27 EST 2003

On Sunday 09 November 2003 12:21 pm, BruceG wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>    I'm messing with html stuff and blog goofiness. Right now I write on my
> PC, then gFTP it to my server in my home directory. Then I telnet to the
> server and move stuff to /var/www/blosxom directory. Not the snazziest
> solution.
>
>    I'm looking at options. The blog stuff is just text files, so I could
> telnet or ssh to the server and use vi or emacs (the server is command line
> only, blog entries are simple text files). But I'm thinking of something a
> little nicer, like:
>
>    Create a symlink of /var/www/blosxom to /home/username/blosxom on my
> server. Create a staging folder on my PC and build in there. Use ftp to
> move from my laptop to the home folder on my server. That means I wouldn't
> have to then telnet to the server and copy files from
> /home/username/blosxom to /var/www/blosxom.
>
>    How do you guys handle it?

First, never use telnet.  I am hoping you mean ssh, not telnet.

rsync does it all:

rsync -e ssh -av --delete /home/username/blosxom/    \
      user at remote.system.name:/var/www/blosxom/

That should all be one command.  Assuming that user has write permission on
that directory you will sync the two dirs recursively.  And it is really
fast.

Michael