[ale] OT: 64 bit laptops

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 19:26:52 EST 2003

so amd64 isnt the fastest cpu the p4 3ghz is? how can 64bit be slower? its
double the instructions..... sounds good in theory. and does it beat the
mac? lol i would take this convo up with my gf but she would most likely
kill me she is very protective of her new g4 laptop and any possible
insult eg "the mouse pointer is a little more gittery than linux" triggers
a screaming fest. im real dissapointed however, i was really digging the
idea that mac was whoopin ass, guess now i gotta find a new super chip :-p

--- Greg <runman at speedfactory.net> wrote:
> 64 bits only is better than 32 in some respects - high end
> graphics,modeling,multimedia, (perhaps mathematics) and huge databases.
> have a UltraSPARC-IIe (64-bit SPARCv9 processor) and it drags on
> Solaris, is
> ok on OpenBSD but the word from others is that they still get better
> mileage
> on 32 bit architectures.  Or as one person advised me "64-bit
> applications
> tend to be a tad bit slower than their 32-bit counterparts so even
> though
> I'm running a 64-bit SPARCv9 kernel, I still compile those apps as
> 32-bit
> programs using the Sun compilers and optimize the heck out of them."  As
> far
> as the reports about the new Macs - who knows.  So much crap has been
> done
> in the name of "benchmarks" that I am truly skeptical of just about
> everything - especially if comparing 2 different systems (each should be
> optimized by an expert in that system to really get a good comparison).

=====
**  computers are a lot like air conditioners, they stop working properly once you open windows **