[ale] Performance

Liberie F. Cunha-Neto sales at ezatlanta.com
Fri Nov 7 14:12:07 EST 2003

if you have more pcs in your network you can use DISTCC
http://distcc.samba.org

distcc is a program to distribute builds of C, C++, Objective C or Objective C++ code across several machines on a network. distcc should always generate the same results as a local build, is simple to install and use, and is often two or more times faster than a local compile.

On 07 Nov 2003 11:37:45 -0500
Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> I've got an AMD 1.2GHZ machine and I'm looking to upgrade it to get
> better performance.  The main problem I have is with compiling our
> software.  It is just taking too long and I want to make the process
> faster.
>
> Disk Performance:
>
> [root at cfowler cfowler]# hdparm -tT /dev/hdb
>
> /dev/hdb:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.01 seconds =126.73 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.37 seconds = 46.72 MB/sec
>
> Will getting at AMD 2400+ make a huge difference in compile times?
> Obviously when compiling software some I/O is invloved on the disks.

|      |        E-Mail: sales at ezatlanta.com        (professional)   |
|     .|.               liberio.cunha at bol.com.br   (personal)       |
|    // \\      UIN: 66994677  Homepage: www.ezatlanta.com          |
|    ^`~'^         ---->        Gentoo Linux  1.4          <----    |
|   #59441         Produced in a 100% Microsoft free environment    |