[ale] Lexmark Z12 & RH 9

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 5 06:29:43 EST 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 11:30 pm, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> My girlfriend's computer died a while back, and after much futzing around
> on my part, I have assembled a replacement (and moved her over to Linux in
> the process - so far so good). The challenge is getting the printer to
> work...
>
> I have the printer connected by USB, although I could switch to parallel
> if that proves to be necessary. The printer is seen correctly by the USB
> subsystem, or appears to be using usbview. RH's printer config tool claims
> to know how to set up for the printer, but I have yet to get a test sheet
> printed.
>
> A google search hasn't shown anything usefull so far, and I'm not a
> printer guru by a country mile plus. Anybody got a clue they want to
> share??

I have the best luck using Gimp-print and its drivers with CUPS. Also, the
most common problem in setting up printers is some missing dependency with
Ghostscript. Try running gs -h at the command line and see if you get any
errors.

Gimp-print is at:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

and CUPS is at:

http://www.cups.org

Or you can get the rpm's from your distro. Understand, though, that
Linuxprinting.org shows that you printer works "partially" on Linux. Lexmark
hasn't been very cooperative with the open source community.