[ale] Disk access is realllllly slowwwww

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu May 29 16:43:21 EDT 2003

Check the settings with hdparm. But I'm not sure that will be useful
with the hardware raid. It does sound like there is a spin up delay or
maybe a buffer fill up issue.

Most of the hardware raid devices I worked with have a boot up config
area that allows some performance tweaking. I don't know about the
Compaq Smart Array as I've not used that one. The Dell equivalent has a
quasi-bios config application that can set things like spin down time
(why would it even be an option to spin down a raid drive that doesn't
support hotswap??) and other tweaky things.