[ale] Linux 9 (impression)

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Thu May 29 13:47:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 13:35, Ryan Matteson wrote:
> Zyman, Andy wrote:

> Redhat Linux 9 provides better polished packages (gnome, xfree86 4.3,
> Evolution, etc.) in the latest
> release. I have not had any issues with 9, but then again, I didn't have
> any issues with 8 :) I am not
> sure I would reinstall a box just to move it to 9.

Well, there are back port issues regarding how RH 9.0 maps memory. This
is due to the newer libs that are used in revision 9.0.The result is
that some programs (Not many user space programs... Most are modules
that are built against the kernel) will not compile and or the
installation of prebuilt binaries fails. All of the other major distro's
currently do not have this issue,but they will when they move to the
more current libs. The upside is that RH users are experiencing this now
instead of later. The downside is RH 9.0 users are experiencing it now.
For me, this hasn't been to bad. I've been able to get just about
everything to compile (Although, I've had to massage a couple of
things).

I will say this though, if your moving just to upgrade for no particular
reason, I don't think its worth the trouble. As a matter of fact, the
only reason I left RH 8.0 or 9.0 (But, I still have it installed and
bootable so I can test for compatibility and make 8.0 packages) was for
development purposes.

Best

M. Dickens