[ale] F-Prot questions

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu May 29 00:56:43 EDT 2003

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> Have any of you messed with anti-virus software? Prefer one over another?
> Recommend any source for wrappers to make the command line interface a little
> simpler for a beginner?

Corp IT just this April endorsed SOPHOS and now offers it on all unix/linux machines on our lan.

As they so well put it....

  Why do I want Sophos?

Although there are very few viruses that attack Unix operating systems, Unix servers are often used as PC file servers with Samba software.  This means that although the Unix servers are not vulnerable to PC viruses, they can be virus carriers.  All Unix boxes that store or transport Windows files need to be scanned for viruses to reduce this risk.  Some administrators scan their Unix servers remotely from a PC running Norton AntiVirus, but usually a native scanner is more desirable.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith