[ale] NVIDIA cards and drivers

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Wed May 28 21:02:55 EDT 2003

So, in that line of reasoning less knowledge is better? You are running the
WRONG operating system if this is what you want. Quit being lazy and
complaining. If you want to be a mindless heap of flesh sitting at a desk
letting the operating system do everything for you then install Windows XP.

I promise it takes more work to get ATi cards to perform half as well as Nvidia
cards in Linux. I can not speak for the recent
unified-as-long-as-you-have-a-radeon drivers released by ATi but the "open
source" drivers perform nowhere near as well as the binary "closed" drivers
released by Nvidia.

Do not read in this email that I dislike ATi cards. I _prefer_ ATi cards, but at
the time I bought my current video card they did not produce a card which
performed as well as Nvidia's cards. I prefer ATi's hardware quality over
Nvidia's but Nvidia's driver support is much much better (when talking about
alternative operating systems).

--

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the

Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
CH:D 59