[ale] New website for H1B [Slightly OT]

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 28 11:20:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 07:26:28PM -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > OK, I'm going to go on record as saying I resent being compared to
> > Microsoft.  I also resent being called overpriced, slow, less stable,
> > egotistical, and wanting to maintain a monopoly.
>
> I take that as an "emotionally based" reply.

Well, what kind of reply do you expect when you insult a whole class of
people?  What would your reply be if I insulted you the way you insulted
me?

> >we just want to compete on a level playing field.
>
> The playing field is level. I didn't here any complaints when the IT work was
> primarily in the US (kinda still is). Further, there are probably more
> opportunities to work for IT companies. And, there is probably more
> opportunity to be the employer here.

It's somewhat ironic that you compare American programmers to Microsoft,
then make a statement like this.  It's not a level playing field when
American workers have to compete with offshore workers in a completely
different economic environment.  Have you heard of tarriffs?  Do you
think they are good for the American economy?  There is no "tarriff" for
offshore workers, that's what tilts the playing field.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9