[ale] New website for H1B [Slightly OT]

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Wed May 28 01:54:21 EDT 2003

> > He has inspired me to be less troll-like.
>
> Um, Ok... In what way?
Well, I am more carefree now. When I see those supporting the opposing
arguments personally insulting me (or mine) I usually remember not to get
"all caught up" and I try to mimic George's style of writing (which is what I
was shooting for but never saw illustrated).

> Good for you. I've got an ongoing project with "OCR" software written in
> "Russia" that I have spent 9+ months trying to get a bug fixed. Cost?
> $30,000+ (It's the first hit on Google if you look). I'm glad you had a
> good experience with your stock ticker. Unfortunately for me on a bigger
> project (read more expensive) I did not have the same luck.

Maybe Grant can fix the bug. He claims he is a steak. And that is definately a
steak job. Then again, if you can isolate the bug, you may want to drop it on
the boards for bids, and then ask Grant to justify why his bid is three times
as much as other programmers who can accomplish the same task.

> I have no want, or need to make you money unless I make money.
Clarification: You want me to make more money to justify me paying you more
money (as a steak programmer - this is the steak vs. meatloaf/really steak
thread). Otherwise, I will stick with the cheaper production cost.

> How about
> this fictitious scenario, I'll write the code for free. If it works
> better and makes you money, you give me 1% of your gross income. I don't
> know your income, but this still sounds fair.

You are correct. I agree. I work for others on these terms and some work for
me on these terms. Profit sharing and barting work well (at least on small
projects). Large projects are tougher to negotiate.

Still, I have learned to be "selfish." By convincing others that they need the
program too, I can offset the cost of development before coming out of
pocket. I get the software free, support the clients (works "real good" with
automated software) and don't have to cut you in.

> Good for you, I wish you well. Just don't come in here and try to tell
> people that they should be working for $10/hr for the work that they do.

I am not trying to tell people they should be working for $10.
When you joined this thread, I was asking a "steak" programmer to justify his
fees. (When I sell something I offer a long list of benefits). My position is
that it is okay to charge more - if the value is there.

Ironically, the opposite is usually true. Microsoft costs more than Linux.
Brand names usually cost more than higher quality generic (etc).
Marketing makes this so. My favorite hobby is marketing.
Drew Brown
http://www.leftouttheURLforjamessummerswhofeltitwasanadvertisementinsteadofastandardsignature.com