[ale] video card recommendation?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon May 26 19:19:03 EDT 2003

On Monday 26 May 2003 14:57, F. Grant Robertson wrote:
> Drew throws away all kinds of things that don't work immediately without
> prodding..  video cards, distributions, even programmers.
>
> I once knew a girl who traded in a car becuase she accidentaly dropped the
> filler nozzle of a gas can into the gas tank. In a different world, under
> different circumstances, I'm almost positive they could have been soul
> mates.
>
> -G
> <grin>

What Grant has stated is *half true.* I throw things out when I find superior
quality - but I do so after some prodding.

That he takes the vail of a troll and equates me with someone who is foolish
illustrates the nature of his character; We do not know each other.

If I have portrayed myself as someone who is impatient, seaking high quality
at low prices, and not responsible, then I offer some reasoning for those
that have taken offense:

1. Threw out Windows for Linux (after 12 years of use)
2. Threw out RedHat when I found Suse to be more stable, secure, complete and
speedier (after 2 years of use).
3. Spent 48 hours researching hardware that was Windows2000/RedHat 7.1
compatible. Correctly picked everything but the video cards. The cards work
of course, but there is too much labor involved for me (not a pro or hobbist
- just someone that wants a Linux box that installs without much config) :(
4. Threw out Suse 8.1 after experiencing a common Nvidia/Suse8.1 installation
problem (worked on problem 4+ hours).
5. Threw out egotistical, slow and expensive programmers. Hired and
successfully worked with several other programmers, on several projects. To
date, I have not been able to complete a project with a US programmer, but I
found a local one that shows LOTS of promise - still, he is taking over for
one that dropped the ball for a *year.* I chose the new US programmer because
I believe he is the most qualified, his bid was competive, and in his words
we are "kindred spirits" because we have a lot in common.  He also
understands the "why" behind the program.
(Waited for crappy programmers no less than 2 years of time on 2 projects).
6. Trying to throw out video cards with proprietary drivers in exchange for
cards that install more easily. (Have had these cards for 1 1/2+ years).

I have learned not to settle for second best on material things (like code),
especially when I can afford the best. I see video cards, distros and even
programmers "materialistically." I look at how well (and fast) they
accomplish the set task - not how well they are marketed and I have just
enough self-esteem to be selective.

<Permanently swinging back on topic>:
I have just bought a Matrox card (due to Geoffrey and Suse's comments) and an
ATI to see if one will install correctly from boot.

Drew