[ale] video card recommendation?

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Mon May 26 15:20:10 EDT 2003

On Monday 26 May 2003 12:50 pm,  Drew wrote:

> The new driver works just great for many people (according to some message
> boards I read).
> I installed of Suse 8.2 with kernel sources. I used the new driver file
> where you just type "sh Nvidia-etc". I read the manual. I was not in X.
> First of all, there was no precompiled file that it was looking for. Why?

The precompiled code is attached to the NVIDIA...shell script.
It just gets uncompressed.
I didn't read the manual, so I installed while in X, without a problem.
Of course, the new driver wasn't operational until I edited XF86Config-4 and
added   Driver "nvidia" to the Device section, and re-started X.

BTW: Do you get the white NVIDIA splash screen when you restart X?

> Violent things are going to happen to one of my Nvidia cards as soon as I
> get this straightened out. The other will be for sale/trade.

I'll be glad to take them off your hands - I couldn't be happier with mine,
and there are a couple of old computers sitting here that could use
upgrading. Hmmm...while you're at it, could you throw away some sound cards?

Irv