[ale] creating web pages on remote servers

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri May 23 12:06:38 EDT 2003

Drew,

My experience has been that perl is more commonly found on (*nix) web
servers than php.  Actually writing a file, I *think* perl would be more
likely to be able to do that too, but no matter what you do it'll take
some setup.

I don't know about it being common for servers to let scripts write to a
file. You're running that script as the web user, and it just totally
depends on how the admin on the other machine has set up permissions, web
user, etc.  What we always did was touch an empty file outside the
web-accessible structure and chown to the web user so the script (perl or
php) could write to it.

HTH
jenn