[ale] slack rulez!!

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Thu May 22 10:56:32 EDT 2003

> Does the slackware cd-rom boot up? Also which Cds do I need to d/l to
> have a compete install  (without source roms)? I'm looking for an
> alternative to RedHat and Debian systems.

I had some problems with the CD (I think the burn was unclean ... 20G of
freespace on my office (win2k/ntfs) machine, and it splits the 600M ISO
into 25 segments???) but it boots alright.

And it's only 1 CD as long as you don't mind not having the kernel source
and (I think) KDE, both of which they had to axe to make it fit on one CD.
 Which is kinda cool, all things considered, just needing the 1 install CD
:o

And it is COMPLETELY possible to install packages without their
dependencies if you go with the expert mode :/  Had a limited drive space
but needed X and figured XCFE would be small and lightweight ... except it
needed a bunch of libraries I didn't install b/c I wasn't using gnome :o
It's not the best dependency tracker.  It's not really so good at even
being able to tell you what the dependencies might be :/  But it can fit
in a small footprint if you don't go for X :)

--attriel