[ale] slack rulez!!

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed May 21 23:37:32 EDT 2003

Dow Hurst <dhurst at kennesaw.edu> writes:

> I think that the SuSE distro's are storing rpm dependency data in RAM
> while trying to have the fattest prettiest install possible.  So with
> 32Mb RAM you are forced into the ncurses installer mode in the first
> place and then all this rpm dependency stuff is being sorted and you
> run out of RAM since no real swap is available.  You'd have to accept
> the minimum install and if it completes then once you've got swap
> going, you might could work on adding packages.  Slack's install must
> be tgz based right?  No dependency sorting at all, correct?

I believe the Slack installer knows some static dependency info.
For example, it won't let you install X apps without also installing
an X server. However, it's not too difficult to produce a manual
install that breaks dependencies. You just have to know what you're
doing, or be able to dig your way out if you don't. Slack
is not for sissies :-) (Hey, I want a T-shirt that says that!)

Cheers,

-- Joe