[ale] Installing RedHat 7.3

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed May 21 20:10:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> I would be very surprised if any usb drive is bootable. I doubt that
> RedHat will be able to install onto the drive. If it does, you will most
> likely need to make the boot floppy when it says to make one during the
> install.

Booting off USB simply requires that your BIOS support it (ie, newish BIOS),
that you have all the USB mass storage drivers, and that your kernel be
patched to support USB booting. Both RHL 8.0 and RHL 9 are supposed to
support it out of the box, and latest SuSE / Mandrake would as well, I
imagine. I've never needed to test it and see, though ;-)

later,
chris