[ale] Installing RedHat 7.3

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed May 21 19:37:05 EDT 2003

gtg391g at mail.gatech.edu wrote:
> I am currently running Windows XP as my main operating system and I
> just bought a Maxtor 40 GB external USB hard drive and I wanted to
> install RedHat Linux 7.3 as a second operating system on that
> external hard drive.  I was wondering how exactly I do this without
> messing up Windows?

First things first.  You can safely install RedHat on this new drive,
but you should always backup anything that is currently on the machine,
before attempting such an effort.

You can install the drive and when you start up the RH installer, it
will see your windows partitions and leave them alone as long as you
don't tell it to mess with them.

You might consider a newer version of RH though.

> I was also wondering how I make sure that Windows is the primary boot
> up?

When you set up the boot loader, you can tell it which OS is the primary
boot.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...