[ale] Bilingual Content

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed May 21 11:12:17 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm in need of a bilingual content solution for a client of
> mine. I have done some searching and found a few tools but
> I wanted to solicit the resources of everyone.
>
> English and Spanish are the languages of choice. Basically,
> I have some simple web site content that needs to be
> readable by both groups. Fairly simple, I just don't want
> to recreate the wheel.

Are you asking for help on how to translate it, or how to deal with getting
different languages to different clients?

If the former, go with humans. Software doesn't cut it yet.

If the latter, one possibility is the MultiViews stuff in Apache. Take a
look at the multi-language error file configuration on an Apache httpd 2.0.x
server for a good example of setting that up. I don't know that that's the
best solution, though. I'm interested in what else people suggest though, as
I will soon have a need to do this as well.

later,
chris