[ale] making duplicate files

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Tue May 20 14:32:35 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 02:26 pm,  wrote:

>     Drew> In my study, I have found that having lots of local
>     Drew> pages helps search engine ranking for at least 1-3
>     Drew> major engines.
>
> Google (at least, if not others) frowns on this:
>

> http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
>
> Quality Guidelines - Specific recommendations:
>
> [...]
>
> * Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with
>   substantially duplicate content.
>
> [...]
>

> In all likelyhood they'll weed your site out automagically if they
> notice that you're doing it.

That trick will most likely get your site flagged for an actual live person to
review - if that person decides that you are doing this just to "trick" them,
it could get your site banned from Google for an indefinate period of time.
Not a good idea, I think, to depend on that live person being in a good mood.

Irv