To -> David Jackson Re: [ale] Is there anyone out there that fully understands the boot process ? If yes, please help...........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Mon May 19 22:51:40 EDT 2003

David,

Thanks for staying with me on this.

I'm not going to be able to use any "off the shelf" stuff 'cause I'm
using proprietary drivers for some Adaptec scsi cards.

I've read the Bootdisk-HOWTO numerous times. I've got a perfectly fine
boot floppy with all my proprietary drivers compiled in. I've been
struggling for weeks to get the ROOT floppy to work. It gets to the
point of mounting /proc and then hangs the system with no error
messages. I guess it's got to do with init, but it's not clear to me
from my experience/reading what in the hell is wrong.

Appreciatively,
Courtney

David S. Jackson wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:52:08AM -0500 Courtney Thomas <ccthomas at flash.net> wrote:
>
>>What I need is separate boot & root floppies [2] so I can configure my
>>rather baroque driver needs for the boot floppy, then simply have the
>>root floppy installed as /, i.e. as the only mounted filesystem
>>initially. And finally, can I then interact with some RedHat6.1
>>harddrives from this setup ?
>>

> Couple more thoughts:  1) There are bootable CDROM images out
> there with live filesystems that might work out of the box with
> your setup.
>
> 2) Just browsing the Bootdisk HOWTO:  Looks like it describes and
> explains exactly what you want to do (if I grok your intent, that
> is.)

dated 12/21/02,

".....we have a president purchased by corporations in a sham election
who has put those corporations in charge of their own regulation. A
string of corporate scandals has exposed the myth of shareholder
control....."

Mark Spohr	Tahoe City, Ca. [1/18/03]