To -> David Jackson Re: [ale] Is there anyone out there that fully understands the boot process ? If yes, please help...........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Mon May 19 11:52:08 EDT 2003

Thank you for the warning.

I don't use Slackware, but can I use any [other than 9] of it's releases
to accompish my goal here and have only 2 floppies, i.e. a configurable
one that will let me install whatever drivers I need....plus, the root
floppy, of course ?

What I need is separate boot & root floppies [2] so I can configure my
rather baroque driver needs for the boot floppy, then simply have the
root floppy installed as /, i.e. as the only mounted filesystem
initially. And finally, can I then interact with some RedHat6.1
harddrives from this setup ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

David S. Jackson wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 01:16:48PM -0400 James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>Courtney,
>>
>>Slackware 9 (as well as all other Slackware versions) has a both boot
>>and root floppies as images. Check those to see if you can use one of
>>their root floppies or if you have a structural problem with the calling
>>sequence on the boot floppy. Do a loop-back mount of the images, unwrap
>>them and you can look at the init commands.
>>

> Just a reminder that Slack 9 just went to a 3-floppy bootdisk
> sequence.  Boot, install-1, and install-2.

dated 12/21/02,

".....we have a president purchased by corporations in a sham election
who has put those corporations in charge of their own regulation. A
string of corporate scandals has exposed the myth of shareholder
control....."

Mark Spohr	Tahoe City, Ca. [1/18/03]