Related Q, Re: [ale] Favorite Linux GUI for a laptop.

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Sun May 18 14:02:45 EDT 2003

John Mills wrote:

>1) How do I gut the X-Window startup back to a low level commensurate with
>'fvwm2'?

   How do you start up X? Do you use a graphical login?
If not, just modify your .xinitrc in your $HOME.

>2) What other window-manager/desktop combinations ought I consider for
>this not-quite-fireball? (No, not MsWin-3.1, thanks.)

   My personal favorite is Icewm. I still like and use fvwm2
(the latest is really nice), but I think Icewm is pretty cool
as well.
   Oh, and another one is sWM (http://www.small-window-manager.de/)
is another good one. This one was VERY low memory usage.
You can combine it with F***ing panel to get some of the
features of something like Icewm. The URL is,

http://www.chatjunkies.org/fspanel/

   I think there's a website devoted to a minimal install with X.
I can't remember it... Ah! Here are a couple:

http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/
http://www.ibiblio.org/peanut/

Enjoy!

Jeff