Related Q, Re: [ale] Favorite Linux GUI for a laptop.

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun May 18 17:57:30 EDT 2003

ALErs -

I was gifted with a Toshiba 'Satellite Pro' 430CDS (~100 MHz PII) with a
whopping 16 MBy of RAM and 1.6 GBy of hard disk space. As an experiment I
installed an [updated] RH-6.2 which fits fine into about half the HDD.
Console sessions run fine and I have a decent XFree86 screen.
Unfortunately the GNOME desktop completely overwhelms the Sat's
processor/RAM capacity.

I am looking for affordable 32 MBy RAM modules (**>speak up, y'all ..<**),
but I also want to back down to a much lower X-Windows load. I can live
with 'fvwm2' (and did for quite a while), but I also need to cut back on
related desktop overhead:  'Enlightenment', etc.

1) How do I gut the X-Window startup back to a low level commensurate with
'fvwm2'?

2) What other window-manager/desktop combinations ought I consider for
this not-quite-fireball? (No, not MsWin-3.1, thanks.)

TIA.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu