[ale] usb device distribution among machines?

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat May 17 17:49:41 EDT 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Hi guys - I hope this isn't an obvious question, it's just something I'm
> very unfamiliar with right now.  Is it possible to use a USB hub to
> distribute devices among separate machines?  I have some toys
> (powermate, webcam, CF/SDcard reader, etc.) that are USB, and I'd like
> to be able to use them from any of my [USB capable] machines.
>
> Can I do this with a USB hub or can I do it period?

As I understand USB, I don't think there is a way to share periferals
between computers without plugging & replugging and staying within
standard USB hardware. You might be able to fudge something up by
dedicating a machine to handling USB and putting the data out onto the
network.

Just to extend the question, could such a scheme of shared perferals
between computers be implemented over firewire??