[ale] GIMP

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri May 16 22:11:42 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 22:04, Geoffrey wrote:

> He can select the background as previously noted and either change it to
> the color of the website background or he can add an alpha layer, select
> the background of the banner and remove it so that it's transparent.
> Then he's going to be be stuck with gif format, which, as we all know
> has some legal problems.  He could save it as a png, but very few
> browsers handle the png transparency correctly.

Fortunately, the legal hassle with gif format has to do only with LZ
compression routine. Gimp doesn't use it. And the patent expires this
fall.

But png is shaping up to be a much more versatile generic image format
so using it is a good thing.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part