[ale] moving CD-ROM from master to slave

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 14 15:00:02 EDT 2003

Make sure you moved/added the jumper on the cdrom drive that specifies
that it is now the slave device. Some systems will try and run even
though there's a conflict, others won't boot at all.

Easy process:

unplug the new hard drive and the cdrom. boot to single user mode. Edit
the /etc/fstab file and comment out the line that has the cdrom.
Shutdown and reconnect the drives making sure they have the jumpers that
make the hard drive master and cdrom slave. reboot to single user mode.
try mounting a CD to verify that the  cd is now hdd "mount -t iso9660
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom". Then try and fdisk on /dev/hdc. If both are OK,
uncomment the fstab line and change it to be /dev/hdd.

Some system make a symlink from the /dev/hdx device to /dev/cdrom. Be
sure to check and move it as needed. The /dev/cdrom is what is used to
detect CD insertion for automounting.

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 13:11, Robert E. Karaffa, II wrote:
> hi folks,
>     I've been trying to find information about this and haven't come up with
> anything that makes sense.  Here's what I've done:
>
> -an old Gateway 200MHz Mandrake box.
> -originally had two hard drives and one CD-ROM
> -boot drive is 3Gb, master on IDE0
> -storage drive is 6Gb, slave on IDE0
> -CD-ROM is master on IDE1
>
> I added an 80Gb IDE drive to give us added storage capacity, and to improve
> performance (the initial Mandrake install I did was, well, not done as well
> as it could have been, like, /var didn't have its own partition, nor did
> /home, or /usr...geez...).
>
> so I put the 80Gb drive as master on IDE1, moved the CD-ROM to slave, and
> thought all was well.  Now, I'm seeing {Drive Not Ready}{Waiting for DMA}
> messages for hdc in dmesg and, of course, at bootup.
>     I've been trying to find out how the CD-ROM gets assigned its "hd"
> designation, since I've effectively moved it from hdc to hdd...correct?  and
> now, since hdc is a hard drive...well, fstab doesn't specify that the CD-ROM
> was hdc, although now hdc is the new 80Gb drive which holds /var and /home,
> and hdd should be the CD-ROM.
>
>     Can anyone straighten me out?
>

> -Bob K.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com