[linux_general] RE: [ale] spam

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Tue May 13 19:52:32 EDT 2003

	I really don't know.  I would presume nothing.  At all.  Ever.  You can
call them and report back to the list, but I am just overwhelmed with other
things and have too many things on my list in front of spam research.  And
void of any solid information that either affirms or denies it, I cannot
say.  I know that they have a spam filter in effect (one that gives me a "is
this really spam or not" email about once every 2-3 months) but I don't know
what kind of efforts they put into spam reduction.  That's just it.  I don't
know and am leery of any reports of "gadzillions of $$$$ in spam costs".

	As for their policy, have they actually enforced this ? and if so how many
times ?  A bark with no bite is useless.  And what about those who are not
Speedfactory users ?  And what if someone says "Screw you, I quit" and ends
their service rather than pay a fine.

	I don't think any ISP is "spam friendly", but if they become content
managers, then they have opened themselves up to a tremendous amount of
litigation that could bring all but a few to their knees.  For a while I was
following a case in New England (I think), where a small ISP was being sued
to death over their lack of content management.  Spam was not involved, but
the principle is the same.  Like the telephone company they would rather not
concern themselves with the use of their services, but they have to to some
degree and in some ways.  Their is enough erosion of freedoms that I would
rather tread cautiously than have the ethereal "them" censor anything.  You
know, the old slippery slope thing.

	Also, I am not in favor of spam (unless it's on crackers w/ mustard), but
just skeptical of figures being thrown around and things presented as facts
when they aren't as well as leaky arguments using pretzel logic.

	So, to answer your question: dunno.  Depends on your definition of "spam
friendly" and what the facts are.

	Greg