[linux_general] RE: [ale] spam

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Tue May 13 10:03:16 EDT 2003

>> just sick and tired of deleting all the ads about how to enlarge their
>> members, or maybe they're worried about their kids seeing the explicit
>> porn that was sent to their email address.
>
>  The cost of living in the modern world.  TV, radio, and the print media
> shower us with the same stuff.  Part of the job of being a parent.

Your kids get free copies of things like Playboy and Hustler in the mail?
Wow.  That's like the guy I know who's Wendy's serves lasagna and
tiramisu!

You also made a comment about paying for the connection, then bandwidth
usage is free.  Which is true, for individual users in the US.

OTOH, my indian relatives pay per-minute charges for calls, and then
additional usage fees for their ISP (don't know if it's per-minute or
per-packet/byte/meg/etc offhand, but either way).  Which means that if
they receive one e-mail from me, it takes X$ to read it/handle it/etc.  If
they also receive 10 spam messages, even on a web-mail interface, it still
takes time to do something with them.  Even just clicking the checkboxes
and then delete, there's online time and then page-reload.

Small-medium companies also pay per-bandwidth for their network.  Usually
it's measured over a month average and then that bandwidth usage is used
to determine the cost for the next month/3/whatever.  And a lot of them
are hard-capped, so they can only use X bandwidth at any given time, or
(in some insane cases) they get X bandwidth for this month, b/c that's
what their policy is for, and then they just become inaccessible until the
counter ticks over.

Large companies that have a ds3 or some such, sure, they're not generally
paying bandwidth costs.  They're just shelling it all out every month,
irregardless of usage.  But if I have to upgrade from a ds2 to a ds3 (i
think that's the right direction, anyway) to have the available bandwidth
that I really wanted around all the spam, then I'd say that I just shelled
out a large chunk of $$$ to deal with spam.

Just my 2c.

--attriel