[ale] OT: online banking hack

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Mon May 12 18:46:15 EDT 2003

Today I got an e-mail from Bank of America requesting that I go to their
server and log on to online banking. The e-mail provided a link I could use
for calling up the logon page. The problem is that I don't have an account
with Bank of America. The link showed up in the e-mail as https, but when you
click on it, you get an http page with only an IP address. This is a naked
attempt to fool people into giving up their logins and passwords for online
banking. I called Bank of America and forwarded the e-mail (which was caught
and flagged by Spamassassin). Apparently, a whole batch of these went out
today about 1 o'clock.