[ale] Need an RPM clue

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon May 12 08:49:55 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I want to do something very simple: install the MySQL-devel
package. If this were Slackware, I'd just download the MySQL source,
build it against the libraries I've got installed, and everything
would work. But this is Red Hat (8.0), so I want to do it the Red Hat
Way. I am finding it quite a frustrating experience. If there is some
document out there like, "RPM For People With the Same IQ as
Broccoli", a pointer would be appreciated.  Google did not turn up
anything immediately useful; I've read the manpage for RPM and some
assorted RPM FAQs around the 'net, but none of them has been
particularly helpful.

I need to install the MySQL-client, because MySQL-devel depends upon
it. (I'm getting the RPMs from mysql.com, incidentally.)  I've already
got the 3.x version of MySQL-client, so it seems I must "freshen" that
package with the latest one, correct?  Whenever I do "rpm -F
MySQL-client-4.0.12.i386.rpm", rpm warns me about missing public
keys. I tried the --nosignature option, but if I use that, rpm exits
immediately with no errors, but without installing anything. Adding
"-vv" reveals that rpm has "found 0 source and 0 binary
packages". WTF?

Incidentally, I'm aware of apt-rpm. but I want to figure out RPM
itself before I start piling stuff on top of it.

Thanks in advance,

-- Joe