[ale] APC UPS

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed May 7 14:25:39 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:55:13AM -0400, Hogg, Russell E wrote:

> I'm considering a UPS for home use.  I'm doing some reading now about what
> numbers matter and what is worth paying for when it comes to a UPS.

> I'm curious what sentiment the group at large has.  Surely a lot of you know
> more about UPS(es) than I.

UPSes (and surge suppressors) are like doctors.  Use the one with the best
reputation 'cause you're more likely to die otherwise.

More specifically, the better ones are more likely to withstand stronger
voltage surges and some insure your equipment as well.  I use and recommend
only APC, though many others have reported good results with TripLite too.
Don't even think of using another brand.

Regarding surge suppressors (that one should have on peripherals), the
cheap ones are essentially worthless.  They have merely a diode to absorbe
voltage peaks.  On a big peak the diode fries along with your equipment.
The good surge suppressors (and UPSes) have more complex circuitry such
that the internal path between the outlet and your equipment fries on
a big surge to protect your equipment.

Regarding that fancy GUI monitoring to tell you the wall voltage and the
number of spikes, who needs it.  Most outages are for only a few seconds
so there probably is not a need for most even to bother with the "wire
the UPS to the computers to shut down the computers stuff".  It IS nice
to have for commercial use.

UPS batteries usually last 5-8 years.  When they fail price battery
replacement vs. a new unit.  I've had excellent luck with:

     Batteries Plus
     770-495-1644
     770-495-1640:FAX 2045 Pleasant Hill Road
     Duluth, GA 30096
     (Next to Pier 1 imports on the South side of Pleasant Hill Rd,
     just West of I85.)
     M-F 8-8, Sa 9-5, Su 11-5

     They also have a shop on Hwy 41 in Marietta.

     They can replace or rebuild virtually any battery.

Since UPS prices have dropped so much, sometimes it is cheaper to
buy a new one.  One of my APCs (1100 VA still is going strong after
10 years; the batteries were replaced after about 7 years).

> Thanks for the comments,
> Russ
> Russell Hogg
> ctcrreho at opm.gov