[ale] RH Upgrade

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue May 6 11:20:58 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 08:08, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Valid points.  I prefer KDE over Gnome but still run Evolution because
> KDE's kmail is not very good.  Does RH9 suffer the same problems?
> Chris

I haven't explored RH9 personally, but the bits I've read suggest that it
continues down the same [sorry] GUI path as 8.0. I think all the shortcomings
stem from the RH effort to crunch Gnome and KDE into a clone minded, locked
down "Trade Mark" look and feel conglomeration.  The result is that they now
have their semi-proprietary metash*ty bluntcurve desktop that (IMO) is as
indistinctive, undifferentiated, limiting, inflexible and disfunctional as
the Lowest Common Denominator UI from Redmond.

I hope that Mandrake continues to avoid those "KnomEDGe" limitations past 9.0
(which is running great as my daughter's desktop system), but someone who has
looked at 9.1 tells me that they, too, may be devolving into a clone groan
user environment. That would be sad but not surprising since they build a lot
on the RH core.

...and Kmail has been doing fine for my needs since RH7.0, though I do need to
look at Evolution's evolution since the time I made that choice. :-)

peace
aaron

> On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 20:01, aaron wrote:
> > On Monday 05 May 2003 13:56, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > > I know I might have asked this before, but I want to go from 7.3 -> 8.0
> > > via an upgrade process.  Is this a crazy idea.
> >
> > If you are using the system as a desktop / workstation, my opinion is that
RH
> > 7.3-->8.0 is not a good move. From what I've observed, one loses a lot of
> > easy access to window manager choices and other controls over the GUI
> > environment. I'm running 7.3 with Gnome/Sawfish because I like the way it
> > works and I've spent considerable time configuring it to be what I like.
It