[ale] RH Upgrade

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon May 5 20:01:30 EDT 2003

On Monday 05 May 2003 13:56, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I know I might have asked this before, but I want to go from 7.3 -> 8.0
> via an upgrade process.  Is this a crazy idea.

If you are using the system as a desktop / workstation, my opinion is that RH
7.3-->8.0 is not a good move. From what I've observed, one loses a lot of
easy access to window manager choices and other controls over the GUI
environment. I'm running 7.3 with Gnome/Sawfish because I like the way it
works and I've spent considerable time configuring it to be what I like. It
is my understanding that updating to 8.0 would mean a lot of work and hassle
trying to recreate what I have now.

RH 7.3 is current enough that I'm in no hurry to jump back onto the bleeding
edge. Unless RH changes their GUI directions, my next "update" will probably
be a switch to Mandrake next year.

peace
aaron