[ale] OT: building a WAP with linux...

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon May 5 14:39:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday 03 May 2003 10:25 pm, John Wells wrote:
> I am considering going with a PCI wireless card in my linux-based
> firewall/router and a wireless pc card in my laptop...using the router
> as a WAP.  Has anyone else done this?  Are there any drawbacks (as
> opposed to buying a prebuilt WAP)?

Just remember to put the wireless network on a separate network from your
hardwired network.  Wireless is so insecure that putting a firewall in
between them is the only safe way to go.  This is easy to do they way you
are doing it, and I haven't seen a router/WAP combo box that does this,
yet.

Michael