[ale] mandrake upgrade

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Fri May 2 10:55:38 EDT 2003

hi folks,
    I'm about to embark on an upgrade to our Mandrake 8.0 box that acts as
our ftp/web/appleshareIP/authentication server.  I'll try to be brief:

-when I configured this box, my experience with linux was not as deep as it
is now.
-so I partitioned the 3Gb boot drive into 3:  /, swap, and /home.  egads!
-the problem is, as most of you can surmise, space.  the drive is getting
full.
-we keep a second hard drive as storage for the ftp server.  that works ok,
except it is only 6Gb.

I've been doing some self-educating for this upgrade.  I think I understand
what I want to do, but I thought I'd ask:

-I can move /var (which does not, at the moment, have its own partition) to
another hard drive, correct?

Moving /var is the big issue.  I keep an old linux box for testing in my
shop, so I installed mandrake 8.2 in the same format as the box above.
moved /var to another hard drive with no trouble using diskdrake, in an
X-session (not command-line, in other words).  in fact, diskdrake not only
let me partition the new drive and move /var to it, it also asked me if I
"really want to do this, as /var already exists on another drive?".  I said
"yes", and it proceeded with the move, asked me if I wish to delete the old
/var directory, then it asked if I wanted to write the changes to etc/fstab.
wow!  that was slick.

anyone see any trouble I might run into here?  thanks in advance.

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II
e-mail: rkaraff at emory.edu