[ale] Occasional Extensive Disk I/O Question

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 31 23:35:21 EST 2003

John,

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 19:39, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> I realize this is an akward question to answer but I will do my best to pose an intelligent question.
> Problem:  Occasionally after a reboot command the machine hard drive light illuminates for 3-4 hours.  Eventually it goes off.  It is doing it as I write......

>     8 root      25   0     0    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   0:00 mdrecoveryd

	I notice that mdrecoveryd is running.  That's a software RAID thread.
Do you perhaps have Software RAID on your system?  If so, there is a
chance that the filesystem mounted on it isn't shutting down properly,
and so the RAID is constantly rebuilding itself after each reboot.  If
nothing else, this scenario fits the observed behavior.

Danny