[ale] CF compared to IDE

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Mar 31 14:41:09 EST 2003

The DOM is a CF->IDE converter in a compact format.  It has a IDE
connector on one side and a power cable.  The power cable has 2 Power
plugs.  Using one makes it behave like a master, using another makes it
behave like a slave.  Although, since it plug directly into the socket
on the MB, you need a IDE cable with one male plug to add another drive
to that IDE channel.

Booting is fairly fast too.  In a DOM, you get a good quality flash.
Something you may not get if you are purchasing a piece of CF for your
camera.

I've used DOC (DiskOnChip) and DOM.  DOM is not single source like DOC
and it behaves much better and faster.