[ale] Debian Install Woes

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 31 12:14:26 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:56:57AM -0500, James Sumners wrote:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-runlevels
>
> I prefer to read your statement that booting to xdm is a mystery rather than
> booting to init 2 being the mystery. Booting to xdm just makes me angry.

No, I meant that it's a mystery to me why Debian boots to runlevel 2,
and then runs xdm, as opposed to setting runlevel 5 to boot to xdm.

When I installed Debian for the first time, I rebooted, and up came gdm.
My first instinct was to disable this, because I liked booting to a
console and manually running startx.  So, I did a quick "vi
/etc/inittab", intending to change the default runlevel to 3.  But the
default was already 2.  So I left it alone for the time being, because I
had other things I wanted to do.  By the time I figured out how Debian
does it, I was used to booting directly to gdm, so I left it alone.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble so much :)

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9