[ale] OOops! OpenOffice munges my HTML

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Mon Mar 31 10:53:30 EST 2003

On Saturday 29 March 2003 09:35 pm, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> As an OpenOffice-1.0.2 beginner, I decided to try it on a simple bit of
> maintenance on a web pabe I maintain. All went fine until I tried to view
> the new file with my browser.
>
> @#$%&!!

<snip>

> What has been other folks experience using OpenOffice on HTML? Does it do
> a good (or at least non-destructive) job on files it starts afresh? Could
> this mean that my old file was ill formed? I haven't really looked at the
> new or old parsing, but this file has been chewed on for quite a while and
> may have been mis-blocked in a way browsers didn't see, but OO did and
> tried to fix.

I've tried OO with an html page known to be good with all browsers I can find.
OO managed to mangle the file so that it failed miserably on everything except
Konqueror. Tables were totally trashed when viewed with Mozilla and Phoenix,
partly trashed when viewed with Links and IE. Also, OO added borders to
tables which had been defined as borderless. In addition, the html is about
50% larger.

Call me old-fashioned, but Quanta Plus does what I need. Not WYSIWYG,
but neither, apparently, is OpenOffice:)

Regards,
Irv