[ale] firewalls, encryption & NAT to be illegal?

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Mar 31 08:43:42 EST 2003

In addition to the general unease that most all of us here seem to share about
this sort of legislation, I am starting to really have a problem with this
spreading notion of "illegal information" such as the NAT-HOWTO if NAT were made
illegal.

I'm thinking about the DMCA-outlawed things like that guy's DVD descrambler -
how he printed it on a t-shirt (thereby making illegal clothing) and wrote a
haiku describing the procedure (illegal poetry).

Is the whole point to inure society to the notion of illegal information - to
expand what is considered non-protected speech?

- Jeff